Both federal and state governments share the same model of three distinct branches: legislative (law making), executive (administration of the laws), and judiciary (resolutions of disputes). County government is a department of state government.
On the first day of 2023, newly elected officeholders will pledge to faithfully uphold the laws and to fulfill their respective duties.
A reminder on the hierarchy of authority in the State of Texas and the Federal governments is helpful. From the supreme authority to the lowliest office, the chain of command, the line of authority, is as follows, from the top to the bottom.
- We the People are the ultimate authority in both our country and the State of Texas. We the People created this state. We the People choose the lawmakers, chief administrators, and the judges.
- We the People choose our lawmakers, from City Council members, to County Commissioners, to the Texas State Legislators.
- We the People choose our departmental administrators from the county to the state level
- We the People choose our chief law enforcement officer, the County Sheriff.
- We the People choose our judges from Justices of the Peace, to County Courts at Law, to District Judges, Appellate Judges, and the Supreme Court and Court of Criminal Appeals Judges.
Acceptance of authority and acknowledgement of the respective duties of any office entail the requirement of an Oath of Office.
IN THE NAME AND BY THE AUTHORITY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS,
I, ______________________________________________ , do solemnly swear (or affirm), that I will faithfully
execute the duties of the office of _____________________________________________________________ of
the State of Texas, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and laws
of the United States and of this State, so help me God.
Our chosen officeholders do have a measure of authority over us, depending on the circumstances of laws and evidence.
We the People do not choose kings, queens, princes, or princesses. We choose public servants.
The Republican Form of Government is a two-way relationship that depends on the integrity of the officeholder to operate under the law at all times and for the rest of us to exercise self-rule, self-control to also keep our lives within the boundaries of the laws of our state.
From God’s Word, the Holy Bible, Hebrews 13:17, “Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.”
For now, God is the only one authorized to wear a crown.
Becoming an elected officeholder is not a coronation, but an acknowledgment of the duties of the respective officeholders under the law.