- the principles and practices of progressives.
- the doctrines and beliefs of the Progressive party.
- a person who is progressive or who favors progress or reform, esp. in political matters.
- A progressive wants to see more economic and social equality – and hopes to see more gains in feminism and gay rights. They’re also supportive of social programmes directed by the state – and they’d like social movements to have more power in the US. [BBC]
- A contemporary progressive believes a strong central government has the answers to all problems of society.
- Progressives eschew the Rule of Law [Law & Liberty] My opinion: Contemporary progressivism is reformed old-world socialism
What could go wrong?
What are the consequences of reducing pollution in the atmosphere? According to NOAA, “Reducing human-caused air pollution in North America & Europe brings surprise result: more hurricanes.”
“Over the last 40 years, Europe and North America have been leaders in reducing particulate air pollution from industry, autos, energy and other sources. The increasing absence of human-caused air pollution in the Northern Hemisphere, estimated to be a 50-percent drop in concentration from 1980 to 2020, has led to surface warming over the tropical Atlantic Ocean, which contributes to more frequent tropical cyclones. Without significant amounts of particulate pollution to reflect sunlight, the ocean absorbs more heat and warms faster. A warming Atlantic Ocean has been a key ingredient to a 33-percent increase in the number of tropical cyclones during this 40-year period, Murakami said.”
What if anthropogenic air pollution is natural?
Where there are no oxen, the manger is empty,
but from the strength of an ox come abundant harvests.
Human productivity, essential to our overall wellbeing and prosperity, is natural. The carbon cycle is natural. Mankind is as natural as bluebonnets and dewberries. CO2 is not a pollutant but an essential mineral in the production of trees to build our homes and businesses and to grow the food we consume. The carbon cycle is nature’s way of recycling carbon atoms. Carbon is the foundation for all life on Earth. NOAA
The chemical equator (ITCZ) is natural, a global ‘air curtain’ nominally 50 kilometers wide that divides the northern and southern hemispheres.
Volcanoes are natural. Earthquakes are natural. Hurricanes and typhoons are natural.
Natural heat from the magma below the surface of the earth causes more melting of the Thwaites Glacier (aka the doomsday glacier) than anthropogenic atmospheric warming.
I propose a new approach: Let’s leave nature to God, the one who created all we see and know.