The Problem: Lawlessness in America
- Fox News | Maxine Waters urges Minnesota protesters to ‘stay on the street’ if Chauvin acquitted in Floyd case
- Breitbart | WATCH — Maxine Waters: Derek Chauvin Must Be ‘Guilty, Guilty, Guilty’ or We Take to the Streets
- NY Post | Democrats stay silent on violence in their cities: Devine
- Fox News | Kamala Harris praises BLM, says ongoing protests are ‘essential’ for change in US
- CBS DFW | Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot Announces He Won’t Prosecute ‘Low-Level’ Crimes
- The Epoch Times | Biden to Nominate Texas Sheriff Who Criticized Trump-Era Policies to Lead ICE
- Houston Chronicle | Sheriff [Ed Gonzalez] cuts ties with ICE program over immigration detentions
The Threat: Corrupt Federal Government
- President Biden on Thursday, 8 Apr 2021, in rolling out a set of executive orders on gun control, said no amendment is absolute, while maintaining that “nothing” he is recommending “impinges” on the Second Amendment. [Fox News: Biden on the Second Amendment: ‘No amendment is absolute’]
- Yahoo News | Biden Nominates [David Chipman] Anti-Gun Fanatic to Run the ATF Who is David Chipman? ATF agent Chipman was the architect of the slaughter of the Branch Davidians in Waco, 28 Feb 1993. David Chipman is a radical anti-gun agent who advocates for gun confiscation, indifferent to our natural right to self-defense. Biden ATF Nominee Made False Waco Claim, Wanted ‘Assault Weapon’ Ban
- The Hill | Joe Biden allows the deep state to threaten democratic government “But for all their crying about his being a grave danger to the nation, liberals have been silent as President Biden enables perhaps the greatest threat to a government held to account by its own voters with the growth of the administrative state. Over just a few short weeks, he has signed more than two dozen executive orders, many of which will result in an untethered and unelected army of bureaucrats who could have an increasing role in the daily lives of Americans.”
Rich Dad Robert Kiyosaki warns of an impending ‘dollar tsunami’ that will result in hyperinflation will impoverish many of our citizens, thereby destabilizing the whole society.
A Daily Signal commentary titled The Death of Law and Order Is Destroying America, co-authored by Lora Ries and Zack Smith, notes, “… Antifa-inspired mobs have been permitted to repeatedly attack federal buildings, destroy local businesses, and assault law enforcement officers for the past year because politicians sympathize with Antifa and support its cause…And so many members of the mob have not been prosecuted “in the interest of justice.” Instead, they’ve been released to continue rioting night after night. What other result could there be? This permissiveness begets more lawlessness as the violence spreads and escalates.”
What Are the Obligations of Texans?
Question: Are we obligated to obey unlawful laws?
The Supreme Law of the Land
U.S. Constitution, Article VI, §2 | This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.
State of Texas Constitution, Article 1. Bill Of Rights | That the general, great and essential principles of liberty and free government may be recognized and established, we declare:
Sec. 23. Right To Keep And Bear Arms. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.
Citizen-Law Enforcement Partnerships
Conflicts are inevitable when two parties negotiate under different sets of rules.
Mala Subramaniam, a corporate speaker and cross-cultural trainer, makes the argument in her new book Beyond Wins that negotiation is not about winning, but rather, a successful outcome for both parties. [Forbes: Want To Be A Better Negotiator? Get On The Same Side Of The Table]
Maintenance of public peace requires all parties to observe the same rules. In this case, the rule of law, due process, mutual respect. Biden’s belief that ‘no amendment is absolute’ represents a breakdown in the rule of law, a threat to the liberty of all citizens.
The Cure: Education
Assume nothing. In particular, never assume a law enforcement officer knows all the law and never assume a citizen knows it, either.
Broadly speaking, civics education seems absent from contemporary American society. I include civilians and governmental officials.
Civics education is the key to having all parties in agreement on the rules governing encounters of law enforcement officers and civilians.
Absent civics education, instances of combative encounters between civilians and law enforcement officers are arising.
Current example — A leftist solution to prevent gun violence is to outlaw and confiscate firearms. We know from our nation’s history that outright prohibitions actually increase criminal behaviors.
What’s the cure? Civics Education
“I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion.”Former President Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Charles Jarvis, 28 September 1820
To whom do we look to teach? I suggest people actively serving in governmental roles: elected representatives, sheriff deputies, local judges, prosecutors, etc.
While we teach, we learn.Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman philosopher, and statesman, orator (4 BC – 65 AD)
The Line of Defense Against Tyranny
The founders of our nation of states knew by experience that a strong central government threatens individual liberty. As a defense against a over-powerful central government, the founders enumerated—defined—the powers of the central government in Article 2, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution.
To further clarify the limitations of the central government, the first ten amendments—The Bill of Rights—were ratified. The underlying principle for those first ten amendments is “to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its [the federal government’s] powers“. In order to make clear the demarcation between federal and state powers, the Tenth Amendment stipulates, “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.“
Keep in mind how our country is a nation of states, not a nation-state. Our federal government Government pertains to the nature of a union of states under a central government distinct from the individual governments of the separate states. The individual states have a few limitations such as no jurisdiction over interstate commerce, immigration, declarations of war, and a few others; the federal government has many and specific limitations.
County government is one of 254 compartments of Texas state government. Elected sheriffs are our last line of defense against federal tyranny.
The objective behind forming this support group is to get civilians and law enforcement on the same side of the negotiating table, to be a positive force for peace in our county and beyond.
- Promote civics to educational entities
- Promote JOTC
Work In Progress. Edits to follow…